Greenhouse, the never ending story…

I bought us a greenhouse a few weeks ago. We’ve talked about it for a long time, and I know it would be a chance for Judit to have a proper place for growing the vegetables that we all enjoy.

I thought it wouldn’t be a big problem to put the house up. I already had the right place for it, since I made a ”fake” greenhouse 2 years ago, using left over wood and plastic. The fake greenhouse wasn’t meant to last more than a summer, and but it lasted 2, but barely (not the sturdiest of constructions, plus the ventilation was very bad).

So, I ordered, and 2 weeks later it arrived. It’s already a bit too late to grow the things, but I thought I could put it up during the first weekend. Well well. First problem, after opening the package; Assembly instructions. They containted illustrations and numbered parts. Problem was, the parts themselves weren’t numbered, and as many parts looks virtually identical, this turned out to become a giant puzzle.

One of the things I did wrong with the previous house was the ground. I just cleared the worst week and built the house on the soil. Bad move. Lots and lots of week also enjoyed growing in a greenhouse I realized… So, with this greenhouse I thought I’d do it properly. I cleared off all the week, put on a cover cloths which blocks the weeks, but lets water soak down. I also dug holes which I will fill with concrete to keep the construction in place. I then covered the area with a layer of crushed roof tiles, which we had left after we changed roof tiles some years ago.

Turns out its not very easy to crush roof tiles into little bit. In fact, it’s a pain in the ass… I pounded the tiles with a sledgehammer and pounding tool for several hours, and still it looks nothing like how I’ve seen when roof tiles are used as pretty orange walking paths. They must have a professional machine which grinds the bits…

So. Groundwork is now almost done anyway, and I started assembling the house today in earnest, which, as I said, is more like putting together a puzzle than building after clear instructions. I managed to get one side and the front end done today, and I’m hoping I can get the other side and the back fixed tomorrow, and then another day for the roof, and finally the plastic which will be the glass (I opted for 6mm plastic because of the better insulation, which I hope will enable us to keep plants there a few more weeks in the year…